Meatless Monday Lettuce Wraps
Once a week I enjoy going Vegan. It gives my digestion system a break from breaking down complex animal protein and resets my metabolism for the week. For tonight’s “Meatless Monday” dinner, I made these delicious Vegetarian Lettuce Warps. This recipe is inspired by PF Chang’s, and it’s AMAZING!!! They’re made with all fresh, natural and whole ingredients, without any additives. They’re vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and low carb. I made this dish in just 30 minutes! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 (14oz) package extra-firm tofu (do not use silken)
- 8 ounces baby bella (crimini) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 8 large inner leaves romaine lettuce (from a romaine heart) or butter lettuce leaves
- Optional for serving: grated carrots or red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Press the tofu between paper towels to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Refresh the paper towels and press again. Heat the 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms. Continue cooking until any remaining tofu liquid cooks off and the tofu starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Spoon the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with remaining green onions, grated carrots, and additional red pepper flakes as desired. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 198
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 612mg
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 14g